This year, Zibi is proud to partner once again with The Shoebox Project for Shelters making Zibi House an official drop-off location for Ottawa and Gatineau. We are also proud to support Shoebox by offering a sorting space for the project to use in the ground floor of O Condominiums. Make time to visit Zibi House, the heart of our community and learn more about our exciting development when you make your Shoebox donation!
Now in their eighth year of operation, The Shoebox Project for Shelters collects and distributes gifts in the form of Shoeboxes to women who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness in communities across Canada and the US. Each thoughtfully created and decorated Shoebox is filled with items valued at $50 that can enhance self-esteem and reduce feelings of isolation for women in crisis. Reducing the feelings of isolation and loneliness faced by women living in shelters is one of the most important outcomes of The Shoebox Project. A Shoebox gift is a powerful reminder for a woman that she has not been forgotten and that she remains a valued and respected member of her community.
Make a Shoebox
Each Shoebox must be valued at approximately $50, and be filled with items that you would personally like to receive during the Holidays. Always remember, you are gifting little luxuries, gifts or items you might purchase for a family member or a close friend.
What goes inside a Shoebox
- Something special: Gift card, accessories.
- Something practical: Sunscreen, bus tickets, hair ties.
- Something fun: Playing cards, blank journal, colouring book.
- Something sweet: Candy, nut-free chocolate.
- Something personal: Shampoo/conditioner, body wash.
- Something pretty: Makeup, nail polish, cosmetic bag.
- Something soothing: Sleep mask, lotion, beauty products.
- Something cozy: Socks, scarf, hat, mittens/gloves.
- Something kind: An uplifting letter to the women-in-need.
It’s easy to turn an empty Shoebox into a beautiful gift. But knowing what you cannot include in your Shoebox is just as important as knowing what you can include in it.
Please do not include in your Shoebox:
- No Alcohol: Many of the women are healing though trauma.
- No nail polish remover: Due to alcohol content.
- No used goods: Only new items are accepted.
- No candles: Fire risk.
- No sized clothing: Women come in many shapes.
- No hotel samples: Does not make the Shoebox feel special.
- No bubble bath/bath bombs: Many shelters do not have bathtubs.
- No foundations/concealers: Women come in many colours.
- No jumbo sized containers: Creates unstable Shoeboxes in transport.
Your boxes can be dropped off at Zibi House, located at 25 rue Jos-Montferrand, Gatineau Wednesday to Friday from 12pm – 6pm and Saturday and Sunday from 12pm – 5pm.
There are many other ways to get involved, and every little bit helps. Donations can come in the form of a Shoebox, financial donations, or donations in-kind. The Shoebox Project relies on the generosity of Canadians who are passionate about creating a world where all women are treated with dignity and respect. See the shoebox website for additional ways to encourage this worthy cause.